Shuttering Oil or formwork oil is high-quality mineral oil that is applied to the inner surface of formwork before concreting. Shuttering oil is also known as a form or mould release agent.
- Application of shuttering oil prevents sticking of formwork to the concrete surface thereby permitting easy stripping of formwork after the concrete has hardened.
- Shuttering oil protects the formwork and hence the formwork can be reused several times.
- Shuttering oil helps provide good finishing surface of the concrete with minimum defects.
- In the case of wooden formwork, shuttering oil prevents water absorption from concrete by the wooden formwork.
- Shuttering oil reduces leakage of water during the curing process.
- Shuttering oil prevents steel formwork from corrosion.