Leaking concrete can cause serious damage to a building and put the life of the occupants at risk. However, waterproofing leaking concretes with concrete admixtures will fix your construction and make the concrete watertight and protect from hydrostatic pressure.
Waterproofing concrete will be used to ensure that the concrete and the underlying structure are protected. This means that the structure should be able to withstand whatever weather that occurs, especially during the rainy season.
CONCRETE WATERPROOFING AREAS
There are specific areas of building that are more exposed to moisture for instance Swimming Pool, Terrace, Bathrooms etc. These areas need to be waterproofed to prevent water seepage. Terrace Waterproofing Terrace surface should be able to prevent moisture/water from penetrating during heavy down pour and should also provide insulation to resist heat loss in a harsh weather condition.
The best waterproofing solution for a terrace is waterproofing membrane. This is a thin layer of waterproof material that is continuously laid over the surface of the concrete, and offers no path for water to enter the structure.
The waterproofing coating is laid over the surface of the structural slab and a filler material is laid on top of the membrane. The filler material is necessary to give a slope to the finish of the terrace. This slope runs towards the drainage outlets.
- High tensile strength, tear and puncture resistance & bond strength
- Ease of application – can be applied by brush or roller
- Good resistance – Against UV, Infrared rays and algal & fungal growth
- Aesthetic finish
- Can withstand any form of hydrostatic pressure Terrace Waterproofing Method
- Remove all loose concrete from the terrace.
- Clean the roof/terrace surface to make sure it is dust-free, remove substrate of all oil, grease and any particles.
- Fill any visible holes and cracks (of 1mm wide or more) in the terrace with concrete waterproofing admixtures.
- Apply a first layer coating with concrete waterproofing admixture along the horizontal and vertical edges of the terrace/roof to fill the invisible cracks and small holes
- Wet the terrace substrate by sprinkling water
- Apply a second and third coating with a cementitious waterproof coating, the second coating should be allowed to dry before applying the third coating.
- Apply a fourth coating of 20mm protective layer with integral waterproofing admixture. Bathroom Waterproofing
Benefits of Terrace Waterproofing with Waterproofing Membrane
Bathroom is expose to water daily and water escaping into the concrete can deteriorate the building structure. More reason concrete should be waterproof to prevent water penetrating into it pores, gaps and cracks.
Self-adhesive is a revolutionary new waterproofing system self-adhesive polymer modified bituminous waterproofing sheet membranes for bathrooms and shower area. This watertight solution is easy, secure and can last for 10years.
Be it a new or renovated building the bathroom and other wet areas must be waterproofed and you will learn the method of waterproofing your bathroom and shower area. Benefits of Bathroom Waterproofing with Self-Adhesive Membrane
- Self-adhesive works on all surfaces – it can be glued to almost any surface such as concrete, dry screed, cement screed, wood, plaster board, tiles etc.
- Suitable for types of building chemical
- Time-saving installation (No drying time / saves 2 hours)
- Fast, direct processing
- Surface immediately tile-able
- No more liquid sealing necessary
- 100% watertight warranty
- Instantly high adhesive force (20 ton / m²)
- High material elasticity prevents cracking Bathroom Waterproofing Method
- Check surface adhesion – it is recommended to test the bonding strength of the membrane to be sure if the surface will need a primer for better adhesion or not.
- Clean surface area – Clean the surface area before you start the installation of waterproofing, make sure it is dust and dirt-free.
- Apply corner pieces and tape on edges – Start with applying the corner pieces and cover all corners with a corner sealing tape.
- Apply waterproofing agent on wall – Apply the waterproofing agent to the wall with a roller brush and make sure it overlaps with the corner sealing tape.
- Apply the waterproofing membrane to the floor of bathroom – Cut the waterproofing membrane into the floor walls of the shower/bathroom. Make sure the membrane overlaps when sealing the bathroom floor.
- Apply the last coat of waterproofing agent – After letting the waterproofing agent dry, apply a final coat of waterproofing to the walls and bathroom floor with a brush or roller.
- Cut off the shower drain – When bathroom sealing is completed, carefully cut out the sealing membrane covering the shower drain to open up the channel.
- Start Tiling – After you’re done with waterproofing then proceed to tiling the bathroom with tile adhesive.
Swimming Pool Waterproofing
Leaky swimming pools can be frustrating and addressing it is not an easy task, repairing it is often expensive, time-consuming amongst other factors. To construct a watertight swimming pool, consider using a waterproofing membrane, it protects the surface in a great way, preserving it from the aggressive action of chlorine and atmospheric agents.
Selecting a Waterproofing Method: In order for a swimming pool to last for several years and not require constant repair, it is essential to make sure that its structure is waterproofed in a timely manner. It is also fundamental to waterproof the horizontal and vertical surfaces of swimming pools and pools in general (often made of reinforced concrete) so that the structures can remain waterproofed and perfectly efficient over time.
The waterproofing solution addresses the aggressive hydrostatic pressure that comes from beneath or behind the pool’s substrate and positive hydrostatic pressure placed on the substrate from above, by the water in the pool.
Benefits of Swimming Pool Waterproofing with Waterproofing Membrane
- High level of impermeability to water, providing full sealing of the bowl;
- Ability to increase the strength qualities of the surfaces;
- Good adhesion with the foundation material;
- Good resistance to freezing and degree of penetration of the mixture;
- Protection of the pool structure against corrosion and aggressive chemical substances;
- Convenient and simple application;
- Prevention of the spread of microorganisms and mold;
- Environmental and sanitary soundness.
Swimming Pool Waterproofing Methods
- Smooth the Substrate – You` need to bring any variations in the pool’s wall or floor (the mortar bed bonded to the cementitious waterproofing), within acceptable flatness levels.
- Clean the Substrate – To facilitate a strong bond for your waterproofing membrane and the tile, ensure that the substrate is properly prepared. Proper preparation requires removing any contaminants on the substrate’s surface – including grease, residues and dust; as well as all loose materials, such as those resulting from honeycombing or laitance.
- Apply waterproofing agent on the wall – Apply the waterproofing agent to the wall with a roller brush
- Apply the Waterproofing Membrane – Apply the waterproofing membrane of your choice as per the manufacturer’s instructions, mostly by roller, trowel or spray over concrete as new as three days old and cures in just two to three hours.
- Test for Leaks – Once the membrane is properly cured, test to make sure the pool is watertight before beginning the tile installation.
Water tank waterproofing
Water tank are either constructed above or below ground and are susceptible to water leakage from the concrete. It is very difficult to know the exact location of the leakage. Water penetrate through the smallest capillaries, and can be visible or drip through a part of the structure, when in fact the point of leakage is actually somewhere else.
Water tank or reservoir needs to be properly waterproof to avoid water from penetrating into the pores of the concrete and causing severe damage.
Benefits of Water Tank Waterproofing with Polyurethane Membrane
Strength and longevity due to the inorganic nature of the material.
- When applied it forms seamless membrane without joints.
- Water vapor permeable
- Provides excellent thermal, weather and UV resistance.
- Resistant to detergents, oils, seawater and domestic chemicals
- Provides excellent adhesion to almost any type of surface
Water Tank / Reservoir Waterproofing Methods
Clean concrete cracks and hairline cracks, of dust, residue or other contamination.
- Clean concrete expansion joints and control joints of dust, residue or other contamination.
- Prime surfaces, like concrete, cement screed, metal, and ceramic tiles with enough primer (min. 250 – 300 gr/m2).
- Mix and stir the components of the polyurethane membrane very well.
- Pour the entire mixtures of polyurethane, onto the primed and prepared surface and lay it out by roller or brush, until all surface is covered.
- Wait for like 12-18hours for the application to dry then add another layer of polyurethane membrane on the layer and can repeat for a third time as well.